Friday 12 November 2021

A TALKING HORSE, EXETER, 1801.

"Christopher Lee Sugg was an entertainer, a 'professor of internal elocution',  that is, a ventriloquist, patronised by not less than the Duke of Cumberland.   He performed in August,1801 at the Hotel Assembly Room in Exeter for the inhabitants of the city and tickets sold at three shillings a ticket.   The Exeter Flying Post of 20th August printed this story:

"LEE SUGG, wishing to embrace every opportunity of making his singular talents the subject of public conversation, created no inconsiderable alarm on the public road the other day, as he was riding from this city to Exmouth. 

"The turnpike gate being opened, he rode hastily through,when, of a sudden, stopping his voice to the horse's head, exclaiming,  'I'll not go any further.'  'Why not? says Lee Sugg.-  'Because you have not payed for me, replied the horse.

"The woman at the gate was much alarmed at so extraordinary a phenomenon; however, after a little altercation between L.S. and his horse, they set off. but had not proceeded many yards, when they overtook an old woman, whom Lee Sugg's horse 'swore he would kiss.'  The old woman cries out, 'For God;s sake,  do not hurt me.'  L.S. replies 'He won't hurt you; did you never hear of the talking horse?'  -'Oh! sir! (says she)  'I know as well as you it is no horse; if you have any power over him, for Heaven's sake keep him from me.'  ;Why, what do you think it is then?' says Lee Sugg -  "Oh! do not, do not let him approach me, for I know too well that it is the Devil, though in the shape of a horse.'  Then L.S. again throwing his voice to the horse's head, excliams, ;Well, good woman, since you know me, I shall leave you to yourself for the present.  Remember me.'  -  The old woman replies -  'remember,  I am sure I shall never forget you; and I am happy you are gone.'" 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment