" WOOL"
"We cannot find language sufficiently full
To speak of the blessings afforded by "Wool""
Its benefits mighty, its wonderful worth
Are felt to the uttermost parts of the earth.
'Tis pleasing to view how the finger of art
Transforms this production at SOLOMON'S famed Mart:
Here the "Wool" which once coverered the back of the sheep
Is roll'd up and pil'd up in many a heap.
Give a call at this house, and behold what is done
With the produce of sheep by J.SOLOMON;
At SOLOMON'S famed warehouse, choice coats are displayed
In many a pattern and many a shade.
You'll find that the Show Rooms of SOLOMON are full
Of charming habiliments form'd out of "Wool;"
To heighten the blessings conferr'd by the sheep
J. SOLOMON & Co. make a rule to sell cheap.
Their purchase of "Wool" is at all times so large,
That they are able of course to diminish their charge;
Then pray do not wait for your purse to be full,
(For no one need find it a very hard pull,).
To purchase a garment of very choice "Wool.""
*
John Solomon was an ingenious outfitter. He was a Jew and, during his time here, a generous supporter of the Exeter synagogue. His Exeter premises extended from Waterbeer Street to the High Street. He regularly advertised in bad verses. I don't know who wrote them but I would like to think these particular verses were writtem by his 'shopman' whose name was Lamb!
The above is another example of Solomon's versifying which speaks for itself. I am all for bad verses. I have written some. I think more people should write bad verses; they would lighten up what is becoming a Dark Age.
John Solomon's candle gave a lovely light but lasted only a few years. He was a bankrupt at this time and his much puffed 'emporium' burned completely to the ground in 1847 and he and Mr. Lamb found themselves in the City Prison awaiting trial for arson. I don't yet know the end of their story.
The prices of Mr. Solomon's woollen coats ranged between one guinea and four guineas.
Source: The Western Times 11th October 1845.
No comments:
Post a Comment