Monday 21 June 2021

A PRAYER FOR FINE WEATHER, EXETER, 1860

 In August 1860, bad weather was causing concern to the people of Devon, presumably primarily to the farmers.  Henry Phillpotts. the Bishop, who had a reputation for never being in Exeter when his people wanted him, was in Durham.   In September he was pressured by some of his flock. to instuct his clergy to pray for fair weather.   A letter he wrote from Durham, dated 31st August, was released to The Exeter and Plymouth Gazette,  It was published on 8th September.,1850.  It seems to show Henry's prompt concern for his people but I am a little suspicious of the date. 

"Dear Mr. Archdeacon, 

Though I know that very many of my clergy have, for some time past, used the 'Prayer for Fine Weather,'  in their several churches yet I can no longer forbear to entreat all of them to do the same.  Let me further impress on them the great importance of their urging their several congregations to use the same prayer, or some other to the same effect, in their family and private devotions. We are  confident in God's goodness, that whatever his visitations, they are sent in mercy.  May we all so use them that they may turn to our profit, and help us forward in the right way, that leadeth to eternal life. 

I request you, and through you the several deans rural, to make known to my clergy this my very earnest entreaty."

 I am, dear Mr. Archdeacon, your affectionate friend and brother,  H. EXETER, -

 Durham, 31st August, 1860. 

Henry was famous for letting God's visitations turn to his profit.  From a humble start in life  he managed to die an immensely wealthy man.

I wonder if Anglican bishops still ask their clergy to pray for fine weather.  Those Extinction Rebellion children might see that as a disturbing intervention..  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment