Tuesday 14 June 2022

"KISS YOUR MOTHER!", EXMOUTH, circa 1810.

I think I have seen this story before but it appears reprinted by The Exeter and Plymouth Gazette (4th September 1830) from the reminiscences of;  a ''Lady of Rank' under the nom de guerre of  'COUSIN ALICE' ' having been published in The Court Journal (not found but presumably of that same year.)  

After Trafalgar both Captain Nesbitt,  Nelson's stepson, and Lady Nelson were living on the Beacon in Exmouth and 'Cousin Alice' was also there somewhere.   She had something to gossip about them and about Mary Anne Clarke and other persons of ton who had been in Exmouth some twenty years before The Court Journal published her reminiscences.  She writes:

"Apropos of Lady Nelson; there was a good story current of her Ladyship that winter.  She was a widow at the time of her union with the 'Hero of the Nile;' and had a son by her first husband.   This son, Captain Nesbitt, resided with her after Lord Nelson's demise; and her daily prayer to him was, that he would marry. 

 'Now, my dear son, do marry.  There is Miss Okes and Miss Ducazel, and Miss Turquand, all fine girls and fine fortunes,  my dear Josiah, why don't you marry?  I beg and entreat you will marry.'

To this strain there was a daily de capo; but apparently in vain.   The captain was proof against all the blandishments which his mother contrived should be brought to play against him,  and held on the even tenor of his course in single blessedness.    One evening, however, the Viscountess turned from the persuasive mood to the authoritative, and after dwelling some time on her favourite subject, rose into this noble peroration:-  

"Josiah, I, your mother, lay my commands on you to marry."  - 

"Mother, they are obeyed ,'  pointing to a very pretty girl, her Ladyship's companion, who sat blushing by her side.  

"Lady Nelson, there is Mrs.Nesbitt.  Fanny, my love, kiss your mother.' "

I have a soft spot for Captain Nisbet/Nesbitt/Nesbit/Nisbett whom I have blogged before. (Josiah Nisbet's Yacht)  If I remember rightly his marriage to Frances Herbert Evans was a happy one but ended in some tragedy.    

I ask myself whether the Misses Okes, Ducazel and Turquand ever existed.  If so, what wonderful names they had, these marriageable Georgian maidens!

I like Alice's description of  Nisbet's bachelor life:  "he held on the even tenor of his course in single blessedness".

Addendum:  re. para 4,  I find that there was indeed a family named Ducarel, not Ducazel, and with daughters, in Exmouth in 18oo, vide the marriages reported in the Flying Post, 9th January 1800.  


I

No comments:

Post a Comment