Tuesday 15 June 2021

AN EXETER JUDAS, 1840

Thomas Haydon was one of four young men, teenagers I guess,  who, in May 1840, stole silver communion dishes and cups  &c. from St David's church, Exeter.   Thomas seems to be a most unpleasant character. but I suppose he was more pitiable than vicious.   He was not charged because when apprehended, he immediately agreed to give evidence against the other three.  In court, as a witness under cross-examination, he gave this account of himself:

"I was in the county goal (sic) for a slop pail 12 months ago. I had stolen the slop pail - there was nothing in it then.  That was the first time ever I stole.  I was not imprisoned long, only six months.  I have not had much practice in stealing since I stole the slop pail - I stole that on my own account.  I was not much frightened when taken up on this charge.  I told of the others a few hours after I was taken up, I did not think much about being tried.  I did not hear of any reward....I did not give the information on account of the £5.  I repented of what I had done, and determined to atone to my country for it.  I dont know whether I shall escape if I convict the others.  I was told I should get off if I convicted the others at the examination on the 14th of May.  Mr Justice Kingdon told me so before the examination,  there were several then present.  Before that I had told all about it.  I was out of employ for ten days about the time of the robbery,,,,I was not then told that I should have £5 if I convicted the others.  Mr Bowden gave me half a pint of beer at Cowley Bridge. and the two policemen had half a pint each, but I was not then told that I would have £5 to convict.  No one told me it was transportation to commit the robbery but I expected it was so.  I heard no one say it was death for stealing in a church.

The other three young men , his companions in crime,  were found guilty of sacrilege.   The jury recommended mercy.   Sacrilege was a capital charge but the judge was merciful!  Two of the three suffered the reduced penalty of fourteen years transportation each.  The third  was sentenced to 8 months hard labour with 14 days solitary confinement.  Thomas Haydon had been  remanded in custody for two months but otherwise seems to have got off scot free.  I don't know whether or not he was given his £5.  

Source: The Western Times, 4th July 1840.

No comments:

Post a Comment