Tuesday 6 April 2021

THE EVIL EYE. CREDITON, 1842

William Harding was a simple soul.  He lived in Sandford, kept a cider-house and worked as a labourer for Richard White, an innkeeper in Crediton.  He had been feeling ill and so, one evening in April 1842,  he went, secretly, to meet Elizabeth Small,  a gypsy of his acquaintance.  They met on a common near Sandford.  He believed she could cure him. 

"I was very ill," he told Exeter Crown Court, "She told me I was hurted by some person and that she could do me good if I would give her half-a-crown.  She said she would bring me the person who had done me the evil.  She told me I was to get as much money as I could - the more I could get, the quicker I should be cured.  A day or two later I met her by appointment, when she demanded 5s more, which I gave her.  I saw her again a few days afterwards, in a bye road; she asked for 5s more.  The person who was to do me good was not yet produced," (Laughter in Court!) 

On the Monday following I met her again, when I told her I had borrowed £22; and she told me she did not want it, but I was to return it to the person of whom I had borrowed it.  I returned it to my master the next day.  On the Thursday following she came again, and told me I was to kiss her hand, and I was not to tell my wife or anybody about it" - (roars of laughter!)  She told me to get more money - and then appointed to meet me again on the common,  I borrowed £28 from my master again, for I wanted to see the evil one - (shouts of laughter).  When I came to the common she asked me how much money I had got.  I held back a little.  She said she must have it. I took it out in my hand, when she snapped it from me, and I was too ill to overtake her."  I have not seen the person yet who was to do me good,"  {more laughter.)

The Learned Judge, the jury and everyone in the Courtroom seems to have found the proceedings highly amusing.  They were not so amusing for Elizabeth Small who was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment,  

There was a large gathering of the prisoner's swarthy tribe  outside the courtroom and when the sentence was pronounced on the prisoner several of the party of either sex gave expression to their chagrin in muttered imprecations upon the Learned Judge, the jury and all whom it might concern. 


Source:  The Western Times. Saturday July 30th, 1842

No comments:

Post a Comment